  From: Thomas Tanner <tanner@gmx.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 23:15:16 +0200

Re: libggi dependencies

Jan Kneschke wrote:

> > I changed degas/include/ggi/types.h, tried a make in libggi and
> > almost nothing happened.
> > Could it be that nobody currently cares about what .h files a .c.o
> > file depend on?
> > Could that be made automatic?
> what about the automake/autoconf/...-package ?? the kde-project is using it
> all over the place on different archs and you i think you know the size of
> the kde-project.
> it's mighty and powerful, if you know how to touch it.

 What about adopting Steffen excellent config scheme?
 It's very portable, powerful and much easier to understand than
 autoconf (who really wants to write m4 scripts?)

 If you want a directory to be compiled you just have to
 create a .configure file in it which can do some optional configuration.
 Then you have to do a single "make" in the root directory to build all
 makefiles and optionally "make depend" to build the dependencies.
 All system dependent data and include files are stored in an extra directory and you can
 do "make" from every directory....

 It's really worth a look:

 Steffen's (old) snapshot: http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sse/ggi/
 my modified and extended one (SGML rules, uninstall target etc.):
  http://home.pages.de/~tanner/ggidesign.html

--
email: tanner@gmx.de tanner@ggi-project.org