  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:27:09 +1000

Re: GGI_AUTO

Marcus writes:

>  > The problem is: how does an application specify Pick-a-mode-yourself?
>  > IMHO some GT_AUTO is needed here. Whether you choose -1 or 0 or 33 does
>  > not matter, as long as it is, in itself, an otherwise invalid mode type.
>
>  0 is an absolute neccesity when we're dealing with graphtypes, as
>  graphtypes are made up of several bytes of info. If GGI_AUTO is
>  -1 you can't do (GT_TRUECOLOR | GGI_AUTO) ...

Apart from "give me absolutely any mode" (for which -1 will do), is there
a big need for a constant ?  In the above case, just plain GT_TRUECOLOR
could be used.  Some other examples: (GT_INDEX | 8), (GT_TRUECOLOR | 16),
(GT_TRUECOLOR | (32 << GT_ACCESS_SHIFT)).  And there's still the
previous values (GT_8BIT and the rest -- or are we phasing them out ?).

I'm thinking that we don't need a constant.  What do you think ?

>  And having two different symbolic constants meaning the same
>  thing is obviously already causing confusion, so GT_AUTO is
>  a NO-NO.

I agree with that -- too confusing.

Cheers,
                                               \  /