  From: Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET) <salvador@inti.gov.ar>
  To  : wlfshmn@ramses.ml.org, ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:14:12 +0000

Re: Card identification.

 wlfshmn@ramses.ml.org wrote:

> What is the prefered method of detecting a pci card?
>
> Currently I'm using the pcibios_find_device() function, but I gather this
> is rather Linux specific and thus should not be used, since I'm waiting
> for info from Matrox anyway, I might aswell clear up a few of these issues
> in my code ;)

IMHO the GGI drivers specification must provide some kind of hook to
call these OS dependent stuff. VBE/AF 2.0 have hooks to do some OS
specific stuff, lamentably the hooks are the wrong functions, for
example: No hook for PCI stuff. So I do it "by hand" in my FreeBE/AF
driver (it means I have code for the PCI detection inside the
driver). The next generation of VBE/AF drivers will fix it or at
least I heard it.

What's a hook? just a function pointer in the main structure of the
driver. The OS fills it with a wrapper for the OS dependent routine
so the driver makes a call to it through the pointer. In this way the
driver uses a defined interface (OS independent).

SET
Visit my home page: http://set-soft.home.ml.org/
or
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Alternative e-mail: set-soft@usa.net set@computer.org
ICQ: 2951574
Address: Curapaligue 2124, Caseros, 3 de Febrero
Buenos Aires, (1678), ARGENTINA
TE: +(541) 759 0013