  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 19:59:00 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Degas cleanups

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> > > And the Makefiles DO need som major cleanup. Escecially the libggi
> > > ones which is a royal PITA of the worst degree...
> > > Sigh, I really which we could have those 127^3 hour days soon.
> >
> >         If I come up with a working system for KGI, will you guys use it
> > for LibGGI?
>
> If it's good and flexible, ofcourse we will.
> The current libggi configure-system is messy, but it IS
> flexible. For example, on my Linux-system I can just type
> setenv W32_CROSS
> make
> and libggi builds as a bunch of win32 dll's instead of
> native Linux libs. Flexibility of this kind must be
> kept, but it has to be easy to maintain and make
> additions too, which the current system is not.

	How about something more generalized, like LIBGGI_PLATFORM =
W32_CROSS in .make_rules or something?  KGI Could use KGI_PLATFORM, and
both could be set in the top-level .make_rules and propagate down to
LibGGI and KGI.  This would let you build LibGGI on IRIX from the top
level, but if you selected "build all", when it got to KGI it would be
able to say "sorry, you can't build KGI on IRIX".

> (Oh btw, libggi does now build almost out-of-the-box
> (IIRC you only have to change / to \ in libggi.conf,
> \ to \\ in .config and $(CONFDIR)/libggi.conf in
> Makerules to  $(CONFDIR)\\\\libggi.conf) for win32.
> But the when I try to run any of the demos win95 claims
> that it can't run ggi.dll :-(

	Maybe you need to add some registry entries?  Or change your PATH
environment variable?

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'