  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : Jason McMullan <jmcc@ontv.com>
  Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 19:50:50 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Degas cleanups

On 10 Jul 1998, Jason McMullan wrote:

> Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu> wrote with confidence:
>
> > degas/console
> > degas/console/include
> > degas/console/os/linux
> > degas/console/os/patches/linux
>
> > 	Allows for GGI Console being used with other OSes besides Linux
> > at some point.  Is this necessary?  Will this ever happen?  It is
> > happening with KGI, that is why I ask.
>
>   GGI Console will be Linux-only for now. It can't be `copied'
> to FreeBSD due to kernel source licensing issues, but the API
> can be re-implemnted. Don't worry about cross-os.

	OK.

> > degas/console/drivers
> > degas/console/drivers/include
> > degas/console/drivers/joystick
> > degas/console/drivers/mouse
>
> > 	The most uncertain one.  How does KII fit into all this?
> > Presumably KII will take over the responsibility of handling input drivers
> > and GGI Console would talk to it the same way it will talk to fbcon/kgicon
> > - through an abstract interface.  The question is, should we make
> > preparations for KII in the tree, or leave the drivers in GGI Console's
> > domain where they are now?  Steffen?  Jason?  Talk to me, guys.  Anyway,
> > _if_ KII was put into Degas, I would structure it like this:
>
> 	Put the input drivers for GGI Console in GGI Console. When
> Steffen's KII subsystem is functional, I'll just use it instead of
> the GGI Console drivers.

	OK.  No KII for now.

> > degas/kgi
> > degas/kgi/include
> > degas/kgi/os/linux
> > degas/kgi/os/patches/linux
> > degas/kgi/drivers
> > degas/kgi/drivers/include
>
> > 	Yes, I know I put kgicon in degas/kgicon.  I have been regretting
> > it ever since, but I did not want to overwrite the existing kgi/ and
> > include/kgi directories and I knew that we'd be having to move lots of
> > directories around eventually anyway.  kgicon is really just the KGI-fbcon
> > bridge, and now that people are porting KGI to other OSes (Roadrunner,
> > Dolphin, FreeBSD) it is not really correct to call all of KGI "kgicon".
>
> 	Good point. Just move the current kgi tree to console/kgi and
> replace it with kgicon.

	OK, this will happen very soon.  You will have to move the rest of
os/ to console/ though - that stuff is your baby and I'm not touching it.

> > degas/lib
> > degas/lib/libggi
> > degas/lib/libggi/include
> > degas/lib/libggi/extensions
> > degas/lib/libggi/extensions/libggi2d
> > degas/lib/svgalib
>
> > 	Mostly OK right now, except for deciding where libggi2d should
> > go.  IMHO it is a LibGGI extension (and hence part of LibGGI) and so the
> > above directory structure would be correct.  However, it is currently
> > also present in degs/lib/libggi2d.  We need to resolve this.
>
> 	My vote is for degas/lib/libggi2d, and it should pull includes
> from degas/lib/libggi/include. No need to make the dir structure too
> deep.

	This seems to be the consensus.

> > * The top-level Makefile's check_dev and clean_dev targets are still using
> > the old /dev/graph setup.  They need to be updated to create the correct
> > files for GGI Console (kgicon uses /dev/fb which can be assumed(?) to
> > already be present).  Again, if KII is to be included with Degas it needs
> > this too.
>
> 	GGI Console is Not Ready For Prime Time driver-wise, so
> why not cut it out of (a) the makefile system

	OK.  This will be simple.

> and (b) the release
> trees.

	Will this be simple?  Maybe, I dunno CVS that well.  But if
console/ is going to be completely disconnected from the rest of the
degas/ tree for now, why not just leave it alone and put a prominent
README in console/?

> When GGI Console can work with a KGIcon kernel and KGIcon
> drivers, let's put it back into the makefile system.

	OK.  Until I hear different from you, console/ doesn't exist as
far as I am concerned.  I would, however, encourage you to NOT take the
reverse attitude with the rest of the tree - it would be nice if GGI
Console's directory and makefile system fit smoothly into the rest of the
tree when the time comes.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'