  From: Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET) <salvador@inti.gov.ar>
  To  : Martin Eli Erhardsen , ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:04:32 +0000

Re: Fast lines

Martin Eli Erhardsen <mee@daimi.aau.dk> wrote:
> WolfWings ShadowFlight wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, James A Simmons wrote:
> >
> > >Why does anyone use floting point. I have created line drawing algorthims
> > >that used floating point. On most ix86 and RISC this is much faster. Also
> > >you don't have to woory about which quadrant the line is in.
> >
> > Okay, this needs to be said:
> > We've hashed, and rehashed the line-drawing algo discussion too many times
> > already, the existing implementation is best overall for _ALL_
> > architectures. Yes, it flat-out sucks on some, but overall, it's the best
> > one that was agreed upon. Floating-point, straight bressenham, all have
> > been brought up before, and on many arch's they're better than the current
> > one, but not on all architectures GGI runs on currently, like the piddly
> > little 386/16 behind me, or the 486/7Mhz to my right. (286 I ripped apart
> > and plugged one of those illicit 486 upgrade chip boards into. :-)
> >

> Why bother optimizing for these ancient machines anyway.

Because these machines doesn't have an acelerated card. My question
is the reverse: Why bother optimizing code for a Pentium II or Alpha
21164 if most of them (all I guess) have brand new video boards with
acelerators?

Even my (realtive) old video card (Trident 9440) have lines in
hardware.

SET

P.S. To the people discussing about Bresenham: IMHO is be the
fastest and the simplest methode because is the one used by the first
acelerator boards.
Visit my home page: http://set-soft.home.ml.org/
or
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Alternative e-mail: set-soft@usa.net set@computer.org
ICQ: 2951574
Address: Curapaligue 2124, Caseros, 3 de Febrero
Buenos Aires, (1678), ARGENTINA
TE: +(541) 759 0013