  From: Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET) <salvador@inti.gov.ar>
  To  : ">"Jon M. Taylor" , ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:49:29 +0000

Re: [off-topic] RE: Fast lines

"Jon M. Taylor" <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu> wrote:

> > -'well, we messed up the left channel of the integrated sound card, should
> > we try making another round of silicon, or just ship it in mono?'
>
> 	Again, it is a cost and marketplace issue.  Nobody repairs VCRs,
> they throw them away and buy a new one.

Here isn't USA, I repaired my VCR and I hope it will work another 5
years, and I repaired my TV and I hope it will work OK ten years
more.

Sorry but I couldn't resist.

> > >	Here's something else to consider, too.  USB and its >successors
> > >will bring us universal external peripheral expandability.  This >reduces
> > >the need (and desireability) of having DACs associated with your >video and
> > >audio hardware - just send the data in binary form to any external
> > >peripheral (USB monitor, USB stereo, USB modem, etc).  Your >"computer"
> > >should only have to deal with constructing a rectangular array of >colored
> > >pixels, not the task of turning that data into analog electrical >signals!
> >
> > Definately the successors, USB I believe is only 12 megabit/s, and I'm
> > unsure whether it is packet-based or (I think) time-share based. Hopefully
> > it isn't time-share based, because then two USB keyboards would make your
> > USB camera not work.
>
> 	It is a daisy-chain bus, so there is the potential for devices
> higher up the chain to hog the bus.  It isn't really meant for
> high-bandwidth stuff.  Firewire (400 megabits IIRC) is more suited to
> this, which is why it is used in digital video cameras and other releated
> consumer electronics.  USB is meant for keyboards, mice, joysticks, etc.

Just to add some clarification (doesn't invalidate, agree or
disagree): Firewire (IEEE 1394 if I remmember well) isn't the
successor of USB. But will trash USB for sure. The standard was
started 10 years ago by the Apple people to make what USB does today
(remmember Macs have serial mouse and keyboard  in the same BUS,
Firewire started as a replacement for it). 400 Mb/s is one of the
starting rates, 800 Mb/s and 1.2Gb/s are specified and under test.
I think we will see USB and Firewire both at the same time because
USB was very delayed, now WinCrap 98 supports both.

SET
Visit my home page: http://set-soft.home.ml.org/
or
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Alternative e-mail: set-soft@usa.net set@computer.org
ICQ: 2951574
Address: Curapaligue 2124, Caseros, 3 de Febrero
Buenos Aires, (1678), ARGENTINA
TE: +(541) 759 0013