  From: Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET) <salvador@inti.gov.ar>
  To  : Marcus Sundberg , ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:36:24 +0000

Re: set_mode complexity

Marcus Sundberg <e94_msu@e.kth.se> replied to Hartmut Niemann:
> > Then:
> > It would be enouigh if the kernel part ONLY CHECKS the timing, if a complete
> > user-defined timing can be passed down from userspace, which is, AFAIK,
> > currently not possible. So if I can request a mode with a complete Xish
> > mode line, then the kernel only has to check whether it is possible at all.
> > It does not need to worry about preferred modes or I-don't-want-text-with
> > -200Hz. It's a simple go/nogo decision.

[snip]
> > So could all mode *negotiation* be moved to libggi's check*mode (set_mode)
> > calls, and only the mode *checking* remain in-kernel?
> > Maybe some get_timing call would need to be added?
>
> Yes, this is what I've been saying for months now:
> Let drivers export their capabilities to the user-level
> and let all negotiation be handled there.

I vote for that (looks like this thread was a good idea ;-)

SET
Visit my home page: http://set-soft.home.ml.org/
or
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/6552/
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Alternative e-mail: set-soft@usa.net set@computer.org
ICQ: 2951574
Address: Curapaligue 2124, Caseros, 3 de Febrero
Buenos Aires, (1678), ARGENTINA
TE: +(541) 759 0013