  From: Martin Eli Erhardsen <mee@daimi.aau.dk>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 20:29:59 +0200

Re: Fast lines

becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:

> Hi folks !
>
> Still having mail problems at home (argh - RedHat didn't give me an option
> to use smail instead of sendmail ...).
>
> I somewhere read about "inlined putpixels" in this thread ...
>
> You should _not_ do this in the stubs lib. This is why the stubs im-
> plementation is a sliced bresenham, because it can then call hline which
> is faster.

I didn't propose that we inline the function calls in the stubs library,
because if we did this, it wouldn't be a stubs library anymore.

> For very small angles from horizontal, it is often faster anyway, as the
> hline can use larger memory transfer widths.

If we do a hline function call, it has to do adress calculations,
which are slow.

I don't think that it would be a win to do software write combining
for very short hlines i.e. <10 pixels, which are most common.