  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:07:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Problems with a S3 Card

Hi !

> No. My card handbook says that the I/O Adress is at: 3B0-3DF

handbook never tell the truth :-).

> Mabye this is important: When I start up a non-ggi-kernel
> another I/O-Port is displayed:
> 03c0-03df : vga+
> This one is mission in the ioports list of the ggi-kernel, but I think
> this is ok. Or ?

Yes - otherwise it would complain.

> Jul  8 15:37:35 runner kernel: S3 Trio/ViRGE integrated PLL clock driver rev $Revision: 1.5 $
> Jul  8 15:37:35 runner kernel: generic.c:282: S3 accel driver loaded
> Jul  8 15:37:35 runner kernel: pll.inc:335: internal error. Please report to Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@csus.edu>. Thank you!

That is the actual problem. This might be related to using the VGA dac
driver, but I am not sure.

> Jul  8 15:37:35 runner insmod: drv/modules/ggidrv.o: init_module: Das Gerdt oder die Ressource ist belegt

BTW (for Jon): this translates to "Device or ressource busy".

> >  Try using the S3
> > idac clockchip driver instead - I doubt the VGA one will work in MMIO
> > mode.
> If I select the VGA Chipset, the driver works. If I select the
> S3 chipset, it crashes as decived above.

Yes - The VGA clock/ramdac drivers cannot handle the MMIO mode or e.g.
VRAM devices. They work when in VGA compatibility mode, but when you take the
card into their "native" operating mode, they cease working, because things
work differently then, and this needs to be set up in these devices, too.

CU,ANdy

--
Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>