  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:02:07 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Keyboard Change

Hi !

> Could we please decide the KT_LATIN/KT_LETTER keyboard issue ?  I have
> just "fixed" the X_common/events.c to put the Latin1 keys back where
> they previously were (0xF0xx) -- current programs expect this behaviour
> and AFAIK no decision has been made yet.

Don't. We said we break things, and we will. The current libggi will
not be binary compatible to old apps anyway, because the structs
have changed (for events).

> Here's the plan: abolish the KT_LATIN and KT_LETTER defines, and let
> keys like 'A' have their proper unicode value (0x0041).  Much nicer.
> How about it ?

I would like to just redefine them to KTYP(0), and add a KT_LATIN1
as well. Yes - this will break the usual switch() with a "duplicate
case" on old apps, but they need fixing anyway.

> Making this change also means we need to update the namespace -- we're
> gonna need translation from Linux keysyms -> GGI keysyms and to do that
> we're gonna have to #include both linux/keyboard.h and ggi/keyboard.h.
>
> The namespace I have in mind is:
>
>    keys: GGI_KEY_ENTER, GGI_KEY_F1, GGI_KEY_INSERT, ...
>    types: GGI_KT_SPEC, GGI_KT_FN, GGI_KT_SHIFT, ...
>    modifiers: GGI_KM_SHIFT, GGI_KM_CTRL, GGI_KM_ALT, ...

Yes. Make it so.

CU, ANdy

--
Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>