  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 22:06:09 -0700 (PDT)

Re: here we go...

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Frank W. Miller wrote:

> > 	KGI under the current Degas (which BTW is 0.1.0 and not final yet)
> > is DOA and is being reorganized.  The latest stable KGI is in Dali
> > (0.0.9).  But, it still has input device and console handling built into
>
> So I should cvs checkout dali?

	Dali is no longer available via CVS (I think...) and anyway you
should use kgicon as described in my other post.

> > kgicon - it is a lot simpler than KGI/Dali and I can work with you to get
> > around the Linux-isms and fbcon-isms that are still present.  This needs
> > to be done anyway at some point.
> >

> kgicon seems to be the consensus, so lets do it.

	OK.

> > * Use of ioctls to send commands to the drivers
>
> This could be tricky but my ctl() name space is pretty empty right now :/

	You should be able to get a dumb framebuffer up without worrying
about commands.  All you need is to take fbcon-kgi.c (or whatever you end
up turning it into, maybe roadrunner-kgi.c) and write up a function that
accepts a "command" from your OS and parses it and calls the appropriate
kgim_*_command() function.  fbcon-kgi.c does this with a function that
handles all ioctls, but it is a stub right now.

> > * Module stuff
> >

> Havent decided how to do modules yet, so will likely stub this for now.
> The work I do will be linked with the kernel initially as a device driver.

	That will have to change before you release a version of RR that
used KGI - see below.

> > 	Is Roadrunner GPLed?  If not, it will be necessary to build the
> > KGI drivers as modules instead of compiling them into the OS proper.
>
> No, Roadrunner is commercial.  I do plan to put in some sort of module
> thing for device drivers and file systems so I'll have to work this before
> it gets released.  I will not violate the license under any circumstances.

	Just do up the module subsystem before release like you said and
everything should be OK.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'