  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 19:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

Re: here we go...

	http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj/kgicon.tar.gz and
        http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj/kgicon-include.tar.gz

> > you can generate .config by hand and work with it until you have a
> > working port; you should be set for a little while.. :)
> >

> This is what I'll do for now.  I can clean up the config stuff later
> when (and if) this stuff gets folded into the tree.

	It is going into the tree tonight, but will not have an
installation script or be part of the overall degas makefile system for
just a bit.  It doesn't sound like that is an issue for you anyway.

> > Note that you should use the Dali drivers with kgicon small changes
> > (see Jon's earlier post) with kgicon as a basis of work, not EvStack,
> > as the drivers are going kgicon's way.. If you want to stay up to
> > date with their development .. :)
> >

> I do, do some extent.  I'm basically interested in the video drivers for
> the moment.  I have my own keyboard driver I can use.  I don't know
> yet.  It would be nice to use your I/O for interactive stuff I guess.
> I suspect that making the event driven stuff work will probably be the
> most difficult thing for me.  My synchronous and asynchronous event are
> very real-time oriented and therefore much different than what you see
> in Linux.

	We don't have any callbacks from KGI to the OS yet, and IIRC all
acceleration ops are handled synchronously at present.

> > The best bet is to write, in that order, the relevant defines in kgi/system.h,
> > then
> > a "kernel driver" (like the linux/i386.c one) like roadrunner/i386.c or so :),
> > then
> > finally code in your kernel that encapsulates the KGI drivers, like kgicon
>
> I'm on it.  Guess I only need to know about this kgicon thing.

	Download it and have a look.  It'll be in CVS in a couple of
hours, so from now on you can get updates by anon CVS or the daily snapshots.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed