  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:07:04 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Problems with a S3 Card

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Lutz Oberst wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I subscribed this mailing list because I have some problems
> with my S3 card and ggi. The card is a S3 Diamod Stealth64 DRAM.
> The text on the Chip says: Trio64 86C764-P Now my question:
> Do you plan to support this card in the future ?

	The existing Trio64V+ driver should be able to support plain
Trio64 with a few tweaks.  Why don't you try it and tell me what happens?
Note that if you are using Degas (0.1.0), nothing but VGA will work.  If
you want to play with KGI, either use Dali (0.0.9) or kgicon (available
from my web page and soon to be in CVS as well).

> When I didn't find my chipset in the card list, I did a
> make vga and then insmod vgadrv.o. This worked well an the
> screenmode changed. Then I tried some of the demos. Some
> didn't work but quitted with this error:
>
> /home/road/ggi/lib/libggi/demos/# ./demo
> Trying mode -1x-1#-1x-1 D-1x-1 F 1 [GT_AUTO]
> Suggested mode -1x-1#-1x-1 D-1x-1 F 1 [GT_AUTO]
> libggi: Failed to set requested mode
> Can't set mode

	Many (all?) KGI drivers do not support GT_AUTO, which asks the
LibGGI target to propose a sensible default mode.  You will need to
explicitly set the mode you want as command-line arguments, for example:

./demo 320x200#320x200[8]

> But for example the flying_ggis programm works fine and displays
> the flying ggis.

	AFAIK flying_ggis.c always uses 320x200x8.

> Can anybody explain me my errors ?

	See above.

Jon

---