  From: Frank W. Miller <fwmiller@cs.umd.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 17:47:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: here we go...

> Well, I think you should have a look at Jon M. Taylor's kgicon wrapper,
> which will make the KGI drivers work on the stock 2.1.x Linux kernel

Great.  Where is it?

> you can generate .config by hand and work with it until you have a
> working port; you should be set for a little while.. :)

This is what I'll do for now.  I can clean up the config stuff later
when (and if) this stuff gets folded into the tree.

> Note that you should use the Dali drivers with kgicon small changes
> (see Jon's earlier post) with kgicon as a basis of work, not EvStack,
> as the drivers are going kgicon's way.. If you want to stay up to
> date with their development .. :)

I do, do some extent.  I'm basically interested in the video drivers for
the moment.  I have my own keyboard driver I can use.  I don't know
yet.  It would be nice to use your I/O for interactive stuff I guess.
I suspect that making the event driven stuff work will probably be the
most difficult thing for me.  My synchronous and asynchronous event are
very real-time oriented and therefore much different than what you see
in Linux.

> No, actually we aren't THAT dirty :) You just need to edit
> include/kgi/system.h

Thank goodness.  This actually makes my whole day.

> Roadrunner and you're set. A small glitch though, the drivers use the linux
> pci lookup functions as somehow noone bothered to wrap them in system.h

I can prolly get around this.  I use pci stuff from BSD for the DEC tulip
driver.

> The best bet is to write, in that order, the relevant defines in kgi/system.h,
> then
> a "kernel driver" (like the linux/i386.c one) like roadrunner/i386.c or so :),
> then
> finally code in your kernel that encapsulates the KGI drivers, like kgicon

I'm on it.  Guess I only need to know about this kgicon thing.

BTW, just saw the article in Dobbs, very kewl!!

Later,
FM

--
Frank W. Miller                           Department of Computer Science
fwmiller@cs.umd.edu                               University of Maryland