  From: Frank W. Miller <fwmiller@cs.umd.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:37:44 -0400 (EDT)

here we go...

Ok guys, if you're into this, so am I.  I'm gonna start by trying
to port KGI to Roadrunner.  So, what do I do first? :/  First off, I'm
using the 1.0 release of degas.  I think I will go from something stable
to start off with.

I'm looking at kgi/driver and the configure script.  Not quite sure
what it does and I'm running BSD so of course it doesn't work.  When
I run it I get the following output to stderr:

type: not found
dialog: not found
cat: /tmp/ggiset: No such file or directory

and the following helpful output to stdout:

^[[H^[[2J

What exactly is this script doing and can I change the script somehow to
make it work under BSD?

It looks like I need to somehow build things that are in various
subdirectories, ramdac, chipset, graphic, clock, kernel, and monitor.
Now, it looks like I need to do this configure thing before I try any
of these.

One thing I do know, when I finally come down to compiling the various
C and assembly files, I will need to use my own set of header files.
This will probably require some #ifdef'ing around the Linux header files.
This is probably something that will be a general problem for different
OS ports.  So I thought I would do something like this:

#define __Roadrunner__ in a Makefile or config file somewhere, you tell
me where is best I guess.  Then:

#ifdef __Roadrunner__

    /* ... Roadrunner header files here ... */

#else

    /* ... Linux header files here ... */

#endif

or some variant of this, will have to be added to all the source files.

So, you asked for new OS's, I got one.  Let's roll up our sleeves and
hopefully you won't all hate me before it done with...

Later,
FM

--
Frank W. Miller                           Department of Computer Science
fwmiller@cs.umd.edu                               University of Maryland