  From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be>
  To  : Emmanuel Marty <core@suntech.fr>
  Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 21:53:44 +0200 (CEST)

Re: Last kgicon update before it goes in CVS

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Emmanuel Marty wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > I have a 68K, a PPC and an Alpha system at home so I can do some testing,
> > > but most of my coding time is spent on the x86 machines as well.. My
> > > MC68040/25 is somehow slow by today's standards (even if I love that
> >
> > Linux/m68k? :-)
>
> Of course.. Together with a custom AmigaOS 3.1 EPROM (from my original
> ROMs, eh :). Amiga 4000/040/25 mhz (A3640 board IIRC :), 16 MB fast,
> 2 MB chip, a2065 ethernet board, scsi board whose name i forgot
> now :), 1.7 GB IDE disk, 105 MB scsi disk. Nothing very exciting, but
> it runs linux/m68k very well.. when it's switched on (not too often :).

So your machines has more memory and disk than my development Amiga, which also
serves as the mail server here. Very reliable machine, running 2.1.106.

> > > amiga to bits :), the ppc box is a twin 603/66 mhz bebox which doesn't work
> > > too well with Linux (it only uses one cpu :(), and the Alpha.. mm, nothing
> >
> > BeBox, that's still 2.0.x?
>
> Yeah, 2.0.27 actually *snicker*. I would crosscompile a 2.0.34 kernel, but I
> haven't bothered setting up gcc as a PowerPC crosscompiler yet .. If .34
> even works at all on the machine :) The motherboard is going to be replaced
> by a 2x133 mhz one sometime soon, if the kernel ever worked in SMP
> on it, that'd be a great box to use.. :) I would implement it, but I don't know
> much about the bebox lowest levels, and it sure doesn't look like CHRP :)

It's a pity no one has time/knowledge to update 2.1.x for BeBox...

> > > to object to that one, except it's contemporary to 486's (21064A, 275 mhz) :)
> >
> >  Multia?
>
> Actually it's a PC64 ("Cabriolet"); it came with the windows NT console
> in firmware and I never bothered reflashing it, so it starts MILO linked as a PE
> executable which itself loads the kernel.. But it works fine and boots rather
> quickly :-) The speed is far from impressive (again it's contemporary to 486),
> but it's a good platform for testing that your program isn't endianness or integer
> size biased :) It only runs Linux, I gave up on NT or digital unix a long time
> ago.

Does it run 2.1.x? Does tgafb still works? I wrote it without access to an AXP
box, and a friend with a Multia removed the rough edges.

Any kgi drivers for TGA yet? :-)

Greetings,

						Geert

--