  From: Martin Eli Erhardsen <mee@daimi.aau.dk>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:50:50 +0200

Re: GGI_AUTO (was: Re: O.K. - backported LibGGImisc to devel rep ... ARGH !)

Emmanuel Marty wrote:

> > Nobody uses external clock chips now, and the graphics is done on the
> > main chip, even on an old Amiga 1000. It did have an external ramdac though.
>
> Say, just for curiosity, what do you consider as an external ramdac in an
> amiga, even 1000? 'Denise' read video memory via DMA, overlayed hardware
> sprites, and converted the result to analog and digital video signals ?

The designers originally planned to have one chip, but couldn't fit
it all onto one chip with the technology at the time, so they partioned
the design into 3 chips.

Because the Denise chip displays pixels I consider it a ramdac chip,
distinct from Agnus, which has the Blitter and does the graphics.

What is the official definition of a RAMDAC chip ?
Shouldn't we put it into the docs so people can find out if they
have a RAMDAC chip by comparing data sheets with our definiton.