  From: Chris Meadors <cmeadors@acc7.ac.cc.md.us>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 18:42:04 -0400

Re: ggiGetc or ggiGetkey?

WolfWings ShadowFlight wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Chris Meadors wrote:
>
> >The shiftkey should also undo the caps and num locks when held.
>
> Please, please, please, please, pretty please make that an option, and
> don't make it the default? It would make KGI/GGI/whatever the only PC
> computer OS I know of that does that by default, and would generate
> _scads_ of false bug reports. I've tried such a setting, and I'm sorry, it
> doesn't work for me at all. Then again, I'm a programmer, and if I'm
> typing in a long string of variable declerations, I'll leave caps lock on,
> so I can type:
> volatile int CYCLES, F, JUMP_POINT, SKIP_THIS, JUNK, TRASH;
> a tiny bit faster for myself, by only holding down shift for the first two
> words.

I think one of us is miss understanding the other, but I'm not sure which.

I'm only talking about the value returned by ggiGetc(), and I don't see it
being very efficient if that was configurable (a function called that often
having to refer to a config file?) any way other than by a compile time
option.  But I seem to want what you do.  So if I were to type something
with the capslock on like this, "bUT i'M NOT YELLING!" I only hit the shift
on the 'b' and the 'i'.  That seems to be what you asked for also.  But then
I get confused in that you say KGI/GGI/... would be the only OS to do that.
My bash shell does it now, DOS's command.com did it, and I think every
program in Windows did it.  Though I just found out above that Netscape
doesn't, and a quick test in an xterm finds that it doesn't do it.  But
those last too were to my surprise, as that is what I have come to expect.

Oh well this will probally start a war of what is the correct way to handle
a shift when the capslock is on.  Another option if for the shift to turns
off the capslock (like a manual type writer's shiftlock).

> If nothing else, remember that forcing anything on the user that doesn't
> need to be forced only results in angered users and a smaller user-base in
> the end. Simple fact of life: If a user dislikes something, and can't
> change it, they might well switch to something else entirely.

I'll agree with that to some extent, but I don't think someone would ditch a
program based on how it handles the shiftkey in situation like that, that
doesn't come up all that often.

-Chris
--
Two penguins were walking on an iceberg.  The first penguin said to the
second, "you look like you are wearing a tuxedo".  The second penguin