  From: Jon M. Taylor <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:32:17 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Changing the kernel makefile system...

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> > > If we try to get a system which require people to recompile the kernel
> > > when they change their monitor into the kernel we're going to get
> > > laughed at and noone will ever listen to us again.
> > >
> > > Monitor parameters are not a thing to choose at compiletime!
> > > They should be set by passing parameters to the kernel at
> > > boottime, or by a user-level program with root-privs.
> > > And they should default to only allowing the mode the kernel
> > > booted in.
> >
> >         Aahhhhh (kicks self).  echo "monitordata" >/proc/monitor, right?
> > Yeah, that makes more sense.  OK, the multisync drivers are history.
>
> Yes, something like that.
> Btw. Noone responded to my question about in what way
> timelist and monosync drivers are not a subset of
> a multisync driver that supports more than one range
> of frequencies.

	Hm, I didn't see that post or I would have responded by agreeing
that yes they are a subset as you describe.  I am going to keep the
existing KGI monitor driver subsystem for now because I have enough on my
plate right now, but in the future (maybe in Steffen's new KGI) we should
definitely create one standard monitor driver that is configurable through
/proc.  It should also be able to detect and use dcc[2[b]] if the video
card and monitor support it.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'