  From: Marcus Sundberg <e94_msu@e.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 12:18:57 +0200

Re: Removing SYNC mode

Andrew Apted wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to propose that we remove SYNC and ASYNC modes/flags from
> LibGGI, with the following justification :
>
> SYNC mode means "the drawing operation is guaranteed to be visible
> within a reasonable time".  The only LibGGI targets that natively have
> this behaviour is those which draw directly to the hardware (KGI, fbdev,
> svgalib, XDGA afaik).  All other targets must emulate it, and this is a
> royal PITA.
>
> My idea is that when DirectBuffer is available, it implies SYNC mode.
> When it is not available, it implies ASYNC mode.  Old DOS programs will
> expect a DirectBuffer, so doing (quick) ports won't be any harder.
>
> Comments ?

If we're going to do anything at all regarding SYNC mode
we should either remove it completely, or make ASYNC
the default and state that targets doesn't have to provide
a SYNC mode.

Your proposal would for example make it impossible for
KGI drivers to provide an accelqueue unless they
disable DirectBuffer.
Also there are many targets without a DB that has no
problem with SYNC mode.