  From: Chris Meadors <cmeadors@acc7.ac.cc.md.us>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 12:47:30 -0400

Re: ggiGetc or ggiGetkey?

Steffen Seeger wrote:

> > Andrew Apted says:
> > >
> > > IMHO applications only care about the "current
> > > modifiers in effect", and not whether modifier N is sticky or locked or
> > > whatever.  So... can we remove the other three ?
> >
> > This is not so.  I know of two apps (well, ok, from the same company
> > which you may consider braindead) that require capslock and shift to
> > be separated: Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, which admittedly
> > will probably never be ported to linux.  Regardless, they are real
> > world apps, and I think this is reasonable.

Also After Dark for at least Win 3.1 (haven't used it since) had a couple of
savers that read the CAPSlock, but would exit if the shift was pressed.

> Don't remove them. Most of the input stuff was carefully choosen.
> I suggest rather to have a look at the XKBD / XI Extensions
> how input should be done.

Thank you.  It is so nice having 3 togles that have their state displayed on
the keyboard.  Extra nice in Linux is the fact that they aren't preserved
across VTs, so if you have your caps on in some game for a weapon select and
you switch to another screen to chat on IRC you aren't yelling at everyone.

So keep the the -lock keys seperate readable keys, but if you aren't
specificly trying to read them you just see their effect on the keys.  And
capslock is just that, not shiftlock, you get capital letters, but not
shifted number keys.  The shiftkey should also undo the caps and num locks
when held.

-Chris
--
Two penguins were walking on an iceberg.  The first penguin said to the
second, "you look like you are wearing a tuxedo".  The second penguin