  From: Stephen Crowley <crow@debian.org>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:13:32 -0600

Re: Matrox G200 specs released!

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 12:02:49AM +0100, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> Stephen Crowley wrote:
> > > Of course, this is all talk, as I haven't looked at a bit of Mesa source
> > > code since long before even 3dfx hardware support was added, and I don't
> > > even own a G200 yet (although I am reading over the specifications for it,
> > > quickly.)
> >
> > That sounds like a good idea, what would be the best way to do this though?
> > I was hoping there was already some sort of driver outline to follow.
> > Maybe it would be best to use GLX for this instead of coming up with some
> > new way of doing things, how will Creative go about it?
>
> GLX is AFAIK a way to integrate OpenGL with X, and has not much to
> do with coding at the register level.
> In any case the first thing you need to do is to write a basic driver
> with modesetting and 2D acceleration.

the G200 has been accelerated in X for quite some time.
the 3d/video stuff is all that is lacking

|Stephen Crowley      stephenc@wf.net, crow@debian.org      |
|Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org                 |
|GPG Key              http://va.debian.org/~crow/public.key |
\--- 8A8B 3B82 6EA7 CF4E 01A5  5B21 B378 981D D2E1 0D85 ----/