  From: Brian Julin <bri@forcade.calyx.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:16:50 -0500 (EST)

Re: Load-time parameters

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> And how do you set up the sysctl stuff if you don't now the parameters
> until the driver asks for the values? Don't assume that all chipset
> drivers take the same parameters.

I'm not.

You don't have a "file" for each variable, you just have a "file"
into which you do stuff like:

echo "law_bases<binary data>" >  /proc/sysctl/blah/blah/card1_params

with the binary data being pre-chewed by a userland utility.

then if you cat /proc/sysctl/blah/blah/card1 you get a list
of keys and values:

Param     Bytes  Data
law_bases 64     <binary data>
law_sizes 64     <binary data>
extclk1   32     <binary data>

And the submodules get their values by looking up keys in that table.

> > That's a very vague description.  What do you mean?
>
> Check out the kgi_subparam stuff in KGIcon to get the general idea.

The kgi_subparam is what I'm complaining about. Last time I looked there
was no real param handling in KGIcon, in fact it was just a leftover set
of access macros that were pretty much broken because they accessed
a structure, and you cannot specify structure members with insmod.
Will look again, but I don't recall anyone saying they changed it.

Personally I don't care what we end up woith as long as it deals
with the one-driver-many-cards situation well, and we agree on it,
and it works.

Thanks for pointing out that kgi_sint wasn't right for the return type,
BTW.

--
P.C.M.C.I.A. stands for "Plastic Connectors May Crack If Adjusted"
                                                             -- me