  From: Jos Hulzink <josh@stack.nl>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:38:08 +0100 (CET)

Re: ViRGE problems

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> Hi,

> I found, that virge RAMDAC driver manipulates STREAMS processor. Is it
> really a RAMDAC part. I thought it was rather a chipset/accel part and
> should be supported in those drivers.

You need the ViRGE ramdac driver, just as autodetection tells you. The
trio64 driver is really outdated. The STREAMS processor has really nothing
to do with acceleration, but is needed to get 24 bpp modes working. (and
fixes a pixelshift problem in 15 / 16 bpp modes). You might be confused
with the S3d engine,, which is the accelerator.

The Trio64 driver doesn't set the ramdac for ViRGE. This means you were
lucky you saw Quake running, but that this might not happen again :)

> XFree86 (S3V and SVGA servers) also uses trio64 ramdac driver for my
> card, so I think this is right. But the KGI trio64 ramdac driver needs
> some more bugfixes.

No they don't. They use trio64+ ramdac driver (mind the +). This is sort
of ViRGE ramdac, only the ViRGE ramdac has improved speed. Besides, their
Trio64+ driver is not only a Trio64+ driver :)

Try the ViRGE ramdac please !

Hope this helps

Jos