  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:47:07 +0000

Re: Load-time parameters

Brian Julin wrote:

> Can we get insmod/runtime parameters worked out as one of our first
> orders of business?  As far as I can tell the "KGI managed" system
> for these has been dysfunctional for quite some time.
>
> There are two major things that are complicating this issue.
>
> The first is that we have interchangable sub-modules that need to share
> some of the module parameters, but at the same time there are some
> parameters which are pretty much exclusive to certain specific
> chipsets -- so we oscillate between trying to centralize/standardize
> things and letting the sub-modules all go their own separate
> directions.
>
> The second is that one module may be handling more than one
> hardware instance and must have a set of parameters for each one.
>
> There are three basic options to choose from:
>
> 1) Link in symbols as per insmod.  Convenient, parsing is done
> in userspace, but causes the abovementioned headache for sub-modules.
> Also clumsy in that multi-card setups have to collate their
> parameters e.g. law_base=0xf0000000,0xe000000 law_size=0x10000000,0x10000000
>                          ^^ card 1  ^^ card 2          ^^ card 1  ^^ card2
> ...which is especially bad when you want to pass a single card an array
> of values.
>
> 2) Send in a string per insmod and parse it ourselves.  Better
> for standardization and for multi-card setup, but requires us to
> provide parsing facilities in-kernel and devlop a syntax.
>
> 3) Use a procfs/sysctl type interface -- insert the module, create
> an instance, tweak the parameters, and then send a command to "activate"
> a peice of hardware.
>
> But will an adequate, interactive, sysctl style interface be
> available on all target OS's??

That question should be interpreted as:
"Do all OSes have a way to get input from the administrator?"
And I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. ;)

What you talk about above are implementation details of the
OS/system layer. The driver components just get parameters from the
KGI system layer, and the API to do this should not be dependent on
the implementation on any particular OS.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se