  From: Steve Cheng <elmert@ipoline.com>
  To  : GGI Development <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 13:37:53 -0500 (EST)

Re: Target categories/dependencies...

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:

> for a working X target you need X_common and X.
> xf86dga is an accelerated X target; this depends on X_common as well.

X_common is not a target.  It is simply code #included by the X targets.

> aa depends on being run under a monotext-capable environment. Does this mean
> it depends on other targets?

Monotext?  AA depends on AAlib.

> kgi is standalone but requires kgicon. (??) I don't know much about the
> current state of KGI.

kgi is non-functional.  For kgicon, use the fbdev target.

> linvtsw seems to be needed for console switching under the fb target. Does
> any other target make use of it?

Don't know about that one...

> I have no ideas which targets require the prescense of the mansync helper;
> could someone enlighten me?

(From configure.in)
mansync_dependent="x aa tile"

> memory is standalone.
> monotext " "
> I have no idea what the multi target is. someone enlighten me?

Display on multiple (other) targets.

> I have no idea what palemu depends on.

Nothing else.

> what is sub?

Visual-within-a-visual.  Could be used for windowing I think.

> what is suidkgi? (heh -- sorry about all these q's)

Use KGI drivers in userspace as root.

> svgalib is standalone but requires svgalib to be present.
> what is tele?

Display across network with LibGGI-specific protocol.

> terminfo is a monotext-capable target that can display onto shell sessions
> 	via terminfo. pretty cool. aa over telnet ;P. Mesa apps displaying to
> AA over telnet :P

Note that terminfo supports only text modes, and AA supports only GT_8BIT
modes.

> what's tile?

Video-wall-emulation target :)

> What's the difference between trueemu

(from README)
TrueEmu is a GGI display target that emulates a 24 bit visual on some
other type of visual, which could be 32 bit, 24 bit, 16 bit, 15 bit,
8 bit... or even 4 bit !

> and palemu?

PalEmu is a GGI display target that emulates a palettized visual (e.g.
8 bit) on a truecolor visual (e.g. 24 bit).

> what is vcsa?

Display on Linux console via /dev/vcsa*

> How does the vgagl helper mesh with the svgalib target? what userland
> library does it require to function?

Uses libvgagl.so included in SVGAlib.

> Thanks in advance!
>
> PS -- I realy don't need all of the "what is" questions answered; I just
> need to know what depends on what. If you've got time to give me more, I'd
> appreciate it greatly though ;). Thanks.

I suggest grouping targets that do not depend on any other graphics package
together.  E.g. palemu,trueemu in one package, multi,tile in another, and
memory in base package.  That's much easier.

--
Steve Cheng

email: steve@ggi-project.org
www: <http://shell.ipoline.com/~elmert/>;