  From: Daemonprince <dp@khazad-dum.freeserve.co.uk>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:10:37 +0000

Re: libGGI3d -- ready to code?

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 01:30:32PM -0500, Filip Spacek wrote:
> > The only problem I have with COM is this messiness that you mention.
> > The GUIDs though they may be unique are not human readable and this
> > means extra overhead of making GUID to person converters. Ever tried
> > finding an incorrect registry entry in windows :-)
> >
> > Otherwise from what COM work I have looked at in my Job defining a COM
> > interface is the same as one in IDL. The language is even called mIDL.
> >
> > But the uniqueness of the identifier is a good winner, Java almost has
> > this with its internet address tagged on the front of classes thing. But
> > big companies have already broken this. No-one as far as I know have
> > messed up COM though.
>
> I don't think that unique identifier is enough. We need something that
> would allow us to recognize what kind of data the module expects.

Sorry should have gone into more detail, the unique identifier if useful
because otherwise modules could get confused.

Hopefully I remember this right but I think under COM you can use the
unique identifier to find the interface to a module/COM object. Sort
of similar to the repository in CORBA.

Buit I do agree if we want the sort of pipeline builing abilities being
talked about. Some way to discover where in a pipeline a module sits is
needed.

I think it may be neccessary to limit a module to certain type it can
take into it and certain types it can output. Other wise the number of
combinations tends to infinity. What we maybe need are a set of generic
type such as list of trianles, surface patch, list of vertexes and
a modules must take in one of these fixed types and output the same
or another. The last module in the pipeline of course outputting Z buffer
and pixel buffer points.

Graeme