  From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Niklas_H=F6glund?= <niklas@canit.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:27:05 +0100

Re: libGGI3d -- ready to code?

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 10:03:27PM -0500, Filip Spacek wrote:
> I think this is quite a limitation. This way a module is limited only
> to interfaces the module directly above recognizes. If libGGI3d had a
> logical description, it could "make it fit" pretty much anywhere. This
> would all be of course performed during pipeline construction so there
> would be no overhead. The fitting would be made using so called
> translators which would adjust the data as needed. Translating data would
> obviously be quite an expensive operation, so during the construction of
> the pipeline, libGGI3d would have to take care to use the least number of
> translators. libGGI3d could also get the aproximate cost of the
> translation (for example I would not want my 5000-node BSP-tree go through
> a translator)

Why not just make the translators normal modules?

That way one could link modules like:

  world-generator --> rasterizer
  world-generator --> BSP-tree-translator --> BSP-rasterizer

or, when a more well-suited world-generator has been developed

  BSP-tree-world-generator --> BSP-rasterizer

Note that world-generator and BSP-tree-world-generator would probably
share most of their code.

--
						Niklas