  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:44:49 +1100

Re: KGICon help

Lars M. Christensen writes:

>  I have some problems with KGICon and kernel 2.2.1.
>
>  First I compiled the kernel with the following stuff enabled
>  (not as modules) under the section "console drivers":
>
>  VGA Text console
>  Video mode selection support
>  Support for framebuffer devices
>  Advanced low level driver options
>  8 bpp packed pixel support

It might help to have the other pixel depths too.

>  Then I stripped the module with:
>
>  strip --strip-unneeded kgicon.o
>
>  Is this by the way the right way to strip a module??

I think so.

>  OK, now I load the module and /proc/modules indicates that is it loaded.

What's the output of "cat /proc/fb" ?  If your booting into text mode,
it should look like this (after insmodding the module) :

   0  KGI

>  When I try to map the console to the frame buffer doing:
>
>  con2fbmap /dev/concole

If you boot into text mode, there is no need to use con2fbmap, kgicon
will automatically take over all consoles when inserted.  If you boot
into vesafb or something (not really recommended BTW) then you *do* need
to use con2fbmap, like this:

   con2fbmap 0 1

which says map "all consoles" (the 0) to /dev/fb1 (the 1).

>  I have grep'ed through the kernel source and found the place where
>  is it trys to load the module. This happens because there is no
>  framebuffer registered in the structure 'registered_fb[framebuffer
>  number]'.
>  Is it the job for KGICon to register this??

Yes, kgicon will call register_framebuffer() when you insmod it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/