  From: Lars M. Christensen <c948114@student.dtu.dk>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:49:27 +0100

KGICon help

I have some problems with KGICon and kernel 2.2.1.

First I compiled the kernel with the following stuff enabled
(not as modules) under the section "console drivers":

VGA Text console
Video mode selection support
Support for framebuffer devices
Advanced low level driver options
8 bpp packed pixel support

Then I compiled KGICon with the following options, for my old
standard ET4000 card:

MONITOR  Choose monitor driver [now: generic generic]
CHIP     Choose chip driver    [now: Tseng et4000]
ACCEL    Choose accel driver   [now: generic generic]
CLOCK    Choose clock driver   [now: fixed vga]
RAMDAC   Choose ramdac driver  [now: IBM vga]

Then I stripped the module with:

strip --strip-unneeded kgicon.o

Is this by the way the right way to strip a module?? If I
use 'strip kgicon.o' it gives 'Segmentation Fault' when loaded...

OK, now I load the module and /proc/modules indicates that is it loaded.
When I try to map the console to the frame buffer doing:

con2fbmap /dev/concole

I get:
open /dev/fb0: Operation not supported by device

and /var/log/messages says:
modprobe: can't locate module fb0

Well I do not this module and don't think I actualy need it.
Where did I go wrong???

I have grep'ed through the kernel source and found the place where
is it trys to load the module. This happens because there is no
framebuffer registered in the structure 'registered_fb[framebuffer
number]'.
Is it the job for KGICon to register this??

Thanks

Lars M. Christensen

P.S. My KGICon source is from 16/2-1999