  From: teunis <teunis@computersupportcentre.com>
  To  : David Joffe <djoffe@icon.co.za>
  Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:19:58 -0700 (MST)

Re: New function ggiFlushRegion()

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, David Joffe wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Marcus Sundberg wrote:
> >As the comment suggest it's exactly the same as ggiFlush() except
> >that it will only flush the specified region on targets that can
> >do this - like the X target. On other targets it is identical to
> >ggiFlush().
>
> Is this a good idea? Thinking specifically of my game .. I could, perhaps,
> improve performance on the X target by updating only the necessary regions ...
> this would probably amount to (say) 2 or 3 ggiFlushRegion calls in a single
> frame (which may or may not improve performance, depending on the overhead.
> Right now it's just a single ggiFlush per frame.) The problem here would be
> that if the same binary was run in console mode, or on the svgalib target, the
> same code would produce 3 entire screen flushes, clearly *not* optimal, if, as
> you say, it would be identical to ggiFlush. Or am I confused?
>
> I'm not complaining or anything. I think this is a very useful new function,
> and a good idea.

Hrm.  Even on svgalib it would speed up some of the stuff I work on
(console emulation) lots!
*giggle*

I vote it's good but my vote is 0.  Have a zero bar! *grin*

Hrm.  To do it in accel-speak I guess what you'd do to explicitely bound
an update would be to set a subwindow then run the stored ops.  ideas?
(i don't think it matters immensely but maybe a region-specific update
would be handy for implementing GUI's, et al:)

G'day, eh? :)
	- Teunis