  From: Aaron Van Couwenberghe <vanco@sonic.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:31:16 -0800

Re: libGGI3d -- ready to code?

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 09:27:00AM +0000, G. Gregory wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Filip Spacek wrote:
> Hmmm, I still like the idea of an IDL interface to the modules. This way
> bindings can be made to any language we can find a compiler for. Way back
> in time I heard X11R6.4 was supposed to support IDL for its interface
> definitions. Did this ever come off. Once upon a time I had IDL to C and
> C++ without the ORB stuff compilers. Cant remeber where they came from
> though. They might have been OMG reference versions or somethimg.

CORBA for such low-level interfaces destroys all possibility of efficiency
and reasonable size.

CORBA for their higher-level wrappers (Mesa-GGI et al, possibly even a
directx clone) is feasible in many cases. However, usually these APIs are
not well suited to being networked and need rethinking anyway during
CORBAfication.

Believe me, taking an API and making a straight dupe of it on an IDL
interface isn't the right way to do things. You sacrifice an incredible
amount of speed for flexibility, on each layer that you're using CORBA.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

Blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be disappointed.
                -- W.C. Bennett