  From: G. Gregory <ggregory@bitbox.co.uk>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:27:00 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Re: libGGI3d -- ready to code?

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Filip Spacek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been following the GGI3D discussions quite closely (by that I mean
> that I have actually read all the quite long messages on libGGI3d) What I
> would like to know is what is the status? I remember some discussion on
> the interface. I think that everybody agreed that ints are _not_ the way
> to go and that the best would be some sort of strings which would be used
> during the pipeline construction. This seems to me to be the best way to
> do this. Has anybody started to code something for this interface? or
> produced any RFC?

Hmmm, I still like the idea of an IDL interface to the modules. This way
bindings can be made to any language we can find a compiler for. Way back
in time I heard X11R6.4 was supposed to support IDL for its interface
definitions. Did this ever come off. Once upon a time I had IDL to C and
C++ without the ORB stuff compilers. Cant remeber where they came from
though. They might have been OMG reference versions or somethimg.

But then again if you really do want a string, you could always use
something similar to C++ name mangeling. void_int_long_float_drawtriangle
for void drawtriangle(int,long,float).

Graeme

--
Graeme Gregory                          | "god is a number you cannot
ggregory@bitbox.co.uk                   | count to, you are posthuman