  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 00:13:12 +1100

Re: Problems with Linux_kbd & 2.2.0-pre9 (fwd)

Marcus writes:

>  Robert Ennals wrote:
>  >
>  > I only have keyboard weirdness with XGGI. The other demos (demo etc)
>  > seem to be perfectly happy with my keyboard.
>
>  Are you trying to run XGGI in the background (with & or with startx) ?
>  This currently won't work.

I don't think this _can_ work, running a program in the background on
the same console.  Try "less /some/file &", and it doesn't work either.
I suspect a normal X server only gets away with it, because it opens on
a _new_ console.

Hmmm, I see that the linvtsw code, when not being run directly on a VT,
will open on a new console (when run as root, anyway).  I'd like to add
an option to display-fbdev, "-newvt", which forces that behaviour and
fails if it cannot be done.  This should (hopefully) allow people to run
XGGI from startx.  Marcus, sound OK ?

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/