  From: Kenneth Johansson <ken@canit.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:38:28 +0100

Re: What about LibGGI 2.0 Beta 2?

James Simmons wrote:

> > What about AGP ?? Now the graphics card can access system memory or??  I'am not
> > shure how AGP card handle system memory. Is it like onboard memory? can the card
> > use accelerated function on system memory ?
> >

> AGP is a extension to PCI to allow a higher bandwidth across the bus. The
> idea behind PCI/APG is to map the memory of the PCI/AGP device to really
> high memory in the system. So the memory on the card looks like its part
> of the system's RAM.
>
> James Simmons
> Linux System Admin
> EdgeNet Inc.
> jsimmons@edgeglobal.com
> http://www.edgeglobal.com/~jsimmons

Are you shure. I thought that it was the other way. AGP was intended to have UMA
(unified memory access) that is make system memory look like onboard memory.  But
it's not important I was thinking about this in the context of bitblit transfers when
src/dest have different layout. But I now think that a sprite library extension would
solve my issues with this kind of transfers.