  From: Rowan van der Molen <bigsmoke@usa.net>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:16:16 +0100

Re: Starcraft like GUI to angband, moria and co. using GGI

At 13:19 12-02-99 +0100, you wrote:
> hello, ...
>
> I just thought of an idea of some dtuff that would be nice to do with
> GGI.
>
> I have no much time right now for this, so i will just write it here,
> and see if someoen else is interrested.
>
> A nice GGI project would to provide a nice graphical interface to
> games like angband or moria, i think someting in the genre of the
> starcraft graphical engine or the other such games that are actually
> out would be nice.
>
> this way you provide the GUI for a game that exists already since
> some time, that lot of people play (mostly in text mode), and would
> benefit greatly from a ggi GUI. (mostly 2d stuff i guess), and you
> can concentrate on GGI part of it, since the rest of the game is
> already done, the developpment of this should not take much time, and
> will be a great improvement on the text version.
>
> what do you think, is there someone interrested in stuff like that ?
> i have no time right now to do this alone (also ggi don't work yet on
> my system, ...), but in few months i could work on that, or in part
> of a team ?

Yeah that sounds cool. Maybe you could think up a sort of themable system
which has grahphical modules for every game you port to it so that you can
have an interface which combines best with the game you're porting.
(btw: don't listen to me, what I just said probably is pure bullshit ;-)

But I don't know for sure wether it makes sense. I think it might be easier
just
to jump on the train of one of the existing Linux Gaming projects if you're
interested
in something of which future games can benefit ....