  From: Jeff Bachtel <sebastion@irelandmail.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:34:17 -0600

GGI config problem

Almost certainly because I failed to read an important piece of
documentation, I am at a loss on how to compile libggi. I've checked out
the CVS tree, made sure that my automake, autoconf, and libtool
installations are the recommended versions, but the configure script
produced by autogen.sh in degas/lib/libggi brings up the error:

./configure: line 580: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libggi,2.0,-)'
./configure: line 580: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libggi,2.0,-)'

Is autogen.sh what I should be running first? Or one of the scripts in the
scripts dir? (I tried those, they didn't seem to have a lot of effect)

autogen produces the following errors:
aclocal: configure.in: 11: macro `AM_DISABLE_STATIC' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 61: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library

and quite a few automake errors like:
automake: display/X/Makefile.am: `X.la' is not a standard libtool library
name

I can get rid of the aclocal warning by changing autogen.sh to include my
/usr/local/share/aclocal directory for .m4 files.

Sorry for the rather lengthy post (especially since someone will probably
tell me I was running the wrong file :), but any help is appreciated

thanks,
jeff