  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : Benjamin Y. Lee <bylee@buffnet.net>
  Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:17:13 +0100 (MET)

Re: portrait monitors

Hi !

> Sorry to intrude, but I ran across one of your archived postings to the
> libggi mailing list.  I've been trying to figure out how to run linux in
> portrait mode, and you wrote:

> > Yes. Simple. I can simply write a LibGGI target
> > "display-rotate:90deg:display-KGI" ... no big deal. Should take a few hours
> > just as the display-multi did ....

> Sadly, I'm not a very experienced linux user, so I can't figure out
> whether it was actually ever implemented

No it wasn't yet, but we can do it pretty easily.

I assume you are talking about having a monitor that is tilted by 90
degrees, so when you have a 90 degrees rotated font and change the rendering
direction, you should get an upright picture again - right ?

> and how one would go about accessing it...
> Having combed through dejanews looking for info, I've run across four
> other users who also wanted to run in portrait, so if you help me out, I
> promise to help them out in turn.  Pretty please with sugar on top?  8-)

Hmm - o.k. first of all:

You can't do it with a normal console, not without patching the kernel.

However we have a program called "nixterm" for LibGGI that is something
like xterm is for X. We could alter its behaviour by going through a LibGGI
"rotate" target. It might be a bit slow, though ...

I'll forward your request to the GGI mailing list. Maybe we find someone
who is interested as well and willing to code it. I am a bit overloaded
myself ...

CU, Andy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =