  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:56:14 +0000

Re: file permissions in developer CVS

Tristan Wibberley wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Tristan Wibberley wrote:
>
> > There are many files in the developer CVS tree that seem to have execute
> > permissions where the file is not executable, and group/others have write
> > permission.
>
> Bugger! Someone's actually modified one of the files in my copy of the
> tree!
>
> I hope this is only a problem with my copy, and not something in
> the central repository - please check! :((( It would be terrible if
> developers copies got modified by someone else on their system, and the
> modifications got uploaded.

Well I use AFS, so it doesn't matter if all files are 0777, but
it's a __very__ important point for those who are on a multiuser
systems without ACLs on the directory level.

> > I don't wan't to step on anyones toes, so could you check your bit of ggi
> > and fix it.

I just did some testing, I have two copies of the repository - one
in school and one at home. I changed one of the README files in
school and commited, updated both copies, changed a file at home
and commited, updated both copies.

The permission bits of the file didn't change in any of the cases,
so I think it's safe to say that it's not the master repository
that is broken.

So could everyone run the fixbits script to set permissions on your
local copy right. If files with incorrect permissions start showing up
in the degas/lib tree again it should then be easy to find the
problem.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se