  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:05:38 +1100

Re: Console Drivers -- Question Re: Linux 2.2 series

Aki M Laukkanen writes:

>  Excuse me, vesafb is hardly banging any hardware. The whole idea is that
>  the mode is already set before Linux starts booting so it could be done
>  in real mode. The requirement for KGI drivers should be that they could
>  initialize te card to their liking no matter from what mode (text or
>  not) the card is currently in.

Yes they should, but KGI drivers were initially written with the mindset
that they were taking over a text mode, so it's not surprising that some
of them fail when the videocard is already in graphics mode.

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/