  From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
  To  : bfulgham@xpsystems.com
  Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:31:53 +0100 (MET)

Re: Console Drivers -- Question Re: Linux 2.2 series

Hi !

> After further experimentation and based on input from Dean Wilson I was able
> to get everything to run successfully using 301 mode.
>
> I have very little understanding of graphics hardware, and can't explain why
> starting the vesafb in one mode vs. another would impact the successful
> startup of the kgicon module.

This is very possible. It sounds like the kgicon module doesn't initialize
the card completely. Thus starting it up from some modes (that happen to
have the uninitialized registers "right") works, while others don't.

Maybe the author should try to collect "good/nogood" register dumps to
see what is wrong. I found out the Matrox VGA timing thing that way.

CU, Andy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <andreas.beck@ggi-project.org> =