  From: Brent Fulgham <bfulgham@xpsystems.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:22:45 -0800

RE: Console Drivers -- Question Re: Linux 2.2 series

> If you have VesaFB running on a card and then try to insert a KGI
> driver for the same card success is just a lucky coincidence.
> Having two kernel drivers banging on the same hardware at the same
> time is as asking for trouble.
>
> I don't understand why everyone talks about compiling out
> vesafb though.
> If it is compiled in, just don't use it.
>
> //Marcus

I think this may be where the confusion lies.  When I compile a 2.2 series
kernel, I have been selecting the options for fbcon support.  I have NOT
been compiling the option for the low-level "experimental" fb support.

So, when I boot the kernel, I get a list of text-mode options.  If I enter
301, I get the vesafb stuff with the Linux logo.

If I boot using "301", I can successfully insmod the kgicon for the nVidia
card.

If I boot using a text mode, I get garbage when I insmod the nVidia kgicon.

Am I doing something wrong here?  Does this make any sense?

-Brent