  From: Hartmut Niemann <niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:52:17 +0100 (MEZ)

Re: Bug in fbdev target?

> > Another thing, the fbdev target's checkmode() doesn't work, so monitest
> > shows the message "Set may not fail!!", but I don't... OOOH, bad things
> > will happen if the program assumes that it DID succeed.  Are you sure
> > the new mode you were trying to set was possible ?
>
> Yes, I know that monitest is quite broken and doesn't check anything,
> but that's fixed in my tree. I haven't commited it as I'm currently
> integrating the tunemode functionality into monitest.
????

Your target doesn't do checkmode as specified and you say
monitest is broken?

Please explain.

And please do not work around target bugs in a demo program like this.
Don't commit such workarounds.

If setmode with a mode suggested by checkmode fails, then the target is
SO BROKEN that you shouldn't handle that in userspace.
I'd suggest disabling checkmode instead, i.e. it will fail
and return the *current* resolution as a suggestion, i.e.
a following setmode would not change the mode.

Hartmut
--
Hartmut Niemann   --   niemann(a)cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
http://cip2.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de:8080/hyplan/niemann/index_en.html [/ggi]