  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 15:51:05 +0000

Re: Bug in fbdev target?

Andrew Apted wrote:

> Marcus writes:
>
> >  I'm toying around with monitest, and it seems that if I try to
> >  change the mode from within monitest the app locks upp at the
> >  fillscreen call in ggiSetMode(). Only way out is to SAK it.
>
> It does something similiar here (VESAfb driver), nothing happens after
> trying to change the mode -- the programs seems to stop, BUT: pressing
> escape quits, and console switching still works, so it is still doing
> _something_.

I get similiar behaviour if I try to change bpp within monitest, but
if I try to change resolutions it locks up completely as described
above.

> >  Changing modes works just fine otherwise, so it seems there's a
> >  problem somewhere when doing two modesets from the same app on the
> >  fbdev target.
> >
> >  Any idea of what the problem is?
>
> I never really wrote the fbdev target with multible modesets in mind, so
> there could be some bad assumptions in there somewhere.

Ok, I'll take a look at the fbdev target then.

> Another thing, the fbdev target's checkmode() doesn't work, so monitest
> shows the message "Set may not fail!!", but I don't... OOOH, bad things
> will happen if the program assumes that it DID succeed.  Are you sure
> the new mode you were trying to set was possible ?

Yes, I know that monitest is quite broken and doesn't check anything,
but that's fixed in my tree. I haven't commited it as I'm currently
integrating the tunemode functionality into monitest.

Also setting the mode with fbset or implicitly with GGI_DEFMODE works
just fine.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se