  From: Marcus Sundberg <mackan@stacken.kth.se>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 15:44:33 +0000

Re: I have seen the stars... at Creative!

Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> * LibGGI installs its various shared library binaries into /usr/local/lib,
> but until I added /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf I couldn't run
> anything.  KDE added its shared library paths to /etc/ld.so.conf when it
> was installed, perhaps we should do the same?  Obviously there are some
> cross-platform issues involved here, but at least on Linux this should be
> done.

Changing /etc/ld.so.conf automaticly is _evil_ from a security
perspective. But we should have a note in the INSTALL file that
tells you that this might be necessary, and maybe even add a message
saying so when you run 'make install'.

> * lib/libggidemos/Makefile is quite incomplete and does not use
> autoconf/automake.  I can fix this now that I am paid to hack GGI all day
> (|->), but I'm not as familiar with auto* as others on this list are, so
> I'll beg off on this one unless no one else wants to do it.
>
> * Some demos are in lib/libggidemos, while others are in
> lib/libggi/programs/demos.  What is the reasoning behind this?

libggi/programs/demos contains programs that demonstrate how to
program for LibGGI. libggidemos is basicly the "attic" where I
and Andy ditched the rest of the stuff that used to be in
libggi/demos.

Having autoconf in libggidemos would be a bad thing as it would
suggest that the programs in there are actually something we want
people to use. ;)
Basicly it's just a playground for developers.

libggidemos/3d.c should really replace shmdemo.c in the next LibGGI
release though.

> * The libtool/autoconf/automake dependency thing is a *MAJOR* headache to
> get working properly if you don't already know what to do.  Every single
> developer is forced to go through that, since so many of the tool version
> dependencies are new and are not available from the standard places on the
> net.  I suggest two things be done to help remedy this situation:

[snip]

Very good points, I will take care of that.

        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se