  From: Andrew Apted <ajapted@netspace.net.au>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 14:03:44 +1100

Re: Bug in fbdev target?

Marcus writes:

>  I'm toying around with monitest, and it seems that if I try to
>  change the mode from within monitest the app locks upp at the
>  fillscreen call in ggiSetMode(). Only way out is to SAK it.

It does something similiar here (VESAfb driver), nothing happens after
trying to change the mode -- the programs seems to stop, BUT: pressing
escape quits, and console switching still works, so it is still doing
_something_.

>  Changing modes works just fine otherwise, so it seems there's a
>  problem somewhere when doing two modesets from the same app on the
>  fbdev target.
>
>  Any idea of what the problem is?

I never really wrote the fbdev target with multible modesets in mind, so
there could be some bad assumptions in there somewhere.

Another thing, the fbdev target's checkmode() doesn't work, so monitest
shows the message "Set may not fail!!", but I don't... OOOH, bad things
will happen if the program assumes that it DID succeed.  Are you sure
the new mode you were trying to set was possible ?

Cheers,
                                               \  /
  Andrew Apted   <andrew@ggi-project.org>       \/