  From: Moses DeJong <dejong@cs.umn.edu>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:14:57 -0600

[GGI] compile and install problems, need help.

Hi all.

Just for kicks I decided to try and build ggi on a Solaris box.
I was using the ggi-devel-990205.tar.gz snapshot. I do not have
root access on this machine so I need to install in my own dir
with the --prefix argument. Unfortunately, this does not seem to work.

(compiling gii)

% ./configure --prefix=/tmp/mo/install_gii

checking size of long long... 8
./configure: AM_SYS_SYMBOL_UNDERSCORE: not found

% make

% make install

make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mo/degas/lib/libgii/doc/man'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mo/degas/lib/libgii/doc/man'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mo/degas/lib/libgii/doc'
/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /etc/ggi
mkdir /etc/ggi
mkdir: cannot make directory `/etc/ggi': Permission denied
chmod: /etc/ggi: No such file or directory
make: *** [install-giiconfdataDATA] Error 1

So it seems like libgii is not using the ${prefix} correctly
in this case.

I looked around in the Makefile and found these lines.

gii_confdir = /etc/ggi
giiconfdatadir = /etc/ggi

(install-giiconfdataDATA rule)
$(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(giiconfdatadir)

(installdirs rule)
$(mkinstalldirs)  $(DATADIR)$(giiconfdatadir)

I was not able to find definitions in the Makefile for DESTDIR
or DATADIR so I assume that there must be a mistake in there
somewhere. I did see a variable called DISTDIR but it was
empty so I was not sure what that was for.

I added this to the makefile.

DATADIR=${prefix}
DESTDIR=${prefix}

That let it install everything into /tmp/mo/install_gii.

(compiling ggi)

./configure --prefix=/tmp/mo/install_ggi --with-gii=/tmp/mo/install_gii

creating extensions/misc/libggimisc.conf
creating config.h
configure: warning:
LibGII is not properly installed on the system. You need LibGII for
building LibGGI. Please compile LibGII first.

Any ideas? What can I do to fix this?

Mo DeJong
dejong at cs.umn.edu