  From: James Simmons <jsimmons@edgeglobal.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com
  Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:43:08 -0500 (EST)

Re: The battles.

> Yeah, but it's difficult. So I've been telling Cyrix that KGI makes sense. On
>
> the other hand, X is what's shipping, as is Mesa. But then you have to
> support
> 3 things (X/svgalib/Mesa) for like 7 million users of which how many will buy
>
> your card? So either you outsource it, or you don't bother, or you let your
> engineers
> do it at home... It's a "who has the momentum thing". Managers look at that.

Thats what I'm trying to point out to people. Many companies will NOT
outsource it and linux is in no position to strongarm them to release
specs.

> > The patch is at http://www.stud.enst.fr/~bellard/
>
> Looked at the documentation -- not the patch, it's enourmous.
> Seems ok to me. 3.3 times slower is bad though, although your test
> implementation looks really naive. I'd just add the option to queue x ioctl
> display buffer addresses in the kernel to ensure ioctl's don't block.

That was the worst case with drawing a single point. Plus this was with
software emulation too. The patch has been rewritten. In the old patch
to test userland accel I had the software emulated accels available in
userland. In the new patch I plan to have only true hardware accels ported
to userland. The software emulationed accels will NOT be available from
userland in the new patch. I see no reason to do software accels in the
kernel when you can do that in userland to avoid the cost of a context
switch.