  From: James Simmons <jsimmons@edgeglobal.com>
  To  : ggi-develop@eskimo.com <ggi-develop@eskimo.com>
  Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 13:42:12 -0500 (EST)

Re: KGI - mmap of accel registers to user space.

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Jos Hulzink wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Bryan Meredith wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > 	this doesn't seem to be implemented at the moment.
> >
> > 	Is anyone working on it?
> >
> > 	Is it worth working on, given that James and Fabrice are cooking
> > something up (along with many others ...).

Actually its me and Fabrice right now plus jeff from SGI has shown a
interest in the patch. The patch is under alot of fire plus its meant for
the 2.3.x kernel. Their is a good chance that the patch could get rejected
or the accel part get removed. Also right now the way the patch works is
it batches accel commands and then sends them in ioctl call. This reduces
the overhead of context switching. It doesn't mmap accels. It was done
that way to avoid the problems with poorly designed hardware.

> I'm testing this on th ViRGE driver (by increasing the framebuffer size
> from 4 MB to 32 MB), but at the moment any attempt to get 2D accel working
> fails (The accel engine actually does something, but it far from what it
> should do).

Virge is a very touchy card. Its one of those poorly designed cards.

> I'm wondering if the mmap mechanism is the reason this fails. I'll keep
> you informed.

Where is your code for this ?